If you are charged with a traffic offense (moving violation), you may be eligible to have your citation dismissed by taking a Driver Safety Course (DSC). You are allowed to take DSC once a year for a ticket dismissal for most moving violations, except:
- Speeding 26 mph or more above the posted speed limit.
- Leaving the scene of a collision.
- Passing a school bus.
- Any moving violation in a construction zone with workers present.
- CDL license holders are not eligible.
To be eligible to request this course you:
- Must not have taken a driving safety course for a dismissal within twelve months from the date of the offense.
- Must not be currently taking the course for another traffic offense.
- Must not have a commercial driver's license.
To request this option your request must be received or postmarked by the due date on your citation. At the time of your request you must:
- Present a signed plea form.
- Pay $107 Court Costs.
- Present a valid Texas Drivers License.
Course completion time and follow up.
If you are eligible and meet all requirements you will be granted 90 days to:
- Complete a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency.
- Present your certificate of completion to the court.
- Present a certified copy of your driving record from the department of Public Safety.
If you fail to provide the court with the required documents you will have to appear at a Show Cause Hearing before a Municipal Court Judge to explain why you have failed to comply. If you fail to appear at the hearing a warrant may be issued for your arrest and a conviction of the offense charge will be entered on your driving record.